Credit: Rugby Australia / Sportography
Griffith edge ahead at the Aon University Sevens Series
Griffith University have won the Gold Medal match in round four of the Aon University Sevens Series at Bond University on the Gold Coast on Sunday, defeating Sydney University 31-0.
Sydney University made the Gold Medal match for the first time since they joined the Aon University Sevens this year and proved they have become a strong force to contend with in their second-place finish.
Finishing in third place was Macquarie University who concluded the weekend with the bronze medal after accounting for the University of Queensland, 24-0, leaving Macquarie University hope of claiming the Aon University Sevens Series.
In other matches, the University of New England enjoyed an undefeated day two, finishing in fifth place after defeating the University of Adelaide 35-17.
The University of Tasmania finished round four in winning form, pulling away from Bond University, 26-10 ensuring a seventh placed finish.
The Series now heads to the University of Adelaide for the final round of the Aon University Sevens Series on October 20-21 with final places still very much up for grabs across the ten competing sides.
2018 Aon University Sevens Ladder
1. Griffith University, 74 points
2. Macquarie University, 72 points
3. University of Queensland, 68 points
4. University of Sydney, 48 points
5. University of Canberra, 40 points
6. University of New England, 36 points
7. University of Adelaide, 34 points
8. Bond University, 30 points
8. University of Tasmania, 30 points
10. University of Melbourne, 8 points